Simultaneously, he attended advanced classes in Athens focusing on the theory and the composition of music. His instructors were Harry Kouris, Ioannis A. Papaioannou and the piano instructor Maria Herogiorgou. He completed his music studies at the Academy of Cologne in the area of advanced music theory and pedagogical methods of music with Roland Löbner and Jurg Baur. He graduated in 1988, majoring in the composition of music. He is a member of the Greek association of Musicians, and was formerly the Director of the Public Conservatory of Xanthi.
Theatrical music is also a prominent aspect of his achievements. He has composed music for theatrical plays in Greece as well as in Germany. They include :
• Wie man Wünsche beim Schwanz pakt by P.Picasso & Sweeney agonistes by Τ.S.Eliot, directed by Gregor Leschig, Studio Bühne der Universtät Köln.
• 1993, Aladdin, a production and adaptation by Irene Maraday, directed by Anna Sotrini in conjunction with DI.PE.THE. Komotinis (the Network of Municipal –Region Theaters).
• 1993, Antigone by Sophocles, directed by L. Tsagas, at the theater of “Knossos”.
• 1994, Lambros, a theatrical adaptation based on the poem “A Mad Mother” or “The graveyard” by D.Solomos, produced and directed by Anna Sotrini.
• 1995, A Bloody Wedding by F.G. Lorca, ballet, a collaboration of the dance company “Theatrokinissi”, choreographed and directed by Isidoros Sideris.
• 1996, The Trojan women by Euripides, ballet, a collaboration of the dance company “Theatrokinissi”, an elaborate dramatization directed by Isidoros Sideris and choreographed by Kiriakos Kosmidis at the Greek National Opera.
• 1997, Orestes (extracts from Aeschylus’ Oresteia, Sophocles’ Electra and Ritsos’ Orestes), a request by the “Megaron”, Athens Concert Hall, a dramatization directed by Isidoros Sideris and choreographed by Isidoros Sideris and Kyriakos Kosmidis.
• 1997, A Woman from Zante by D.Solomos – Hasis by G.Gouzelis, directed by Stavros Tsakiris, at the National Theatre of Greece – Experimental Theatre.
• 1998, The good – humored Ladies by K.Goldoni, directed by Ioannis Iordanidis, in conjunction with the National Theatre of Northern Greece.
• 1999, I’m Dying as a Country by Dimitris Dimitriadis, directed by Theodoros Espiritou, at the National Theatre of Greece – Experimental Theatre.
• 1999, Engines of fraud and terror (Atreidian cycle based on Euripides’ tragedies), directed by Nikos Perelis, at the National Theatre of Greece – Experimental Theatre.
• 1999, The forest of Angels (extracts from the plays Romeo and Juliet by Shakespeare, Erophile by Hortatzis, collaboration with the dance company “Theatrokinissi”,, an elaborate dramatization by Isidoros Sideris and Betty Nikoletsi, directed and choreographed by Isidoros Sideris at the “Technochoros”.
• 1999, Xanthi, The Noble Woman from the North, a documentary by Lydia Karra, ET 1 (Public Greek T.V., Channel I).
• 2000, The Song of a Seal, a documentary by Lydia Karra, ET1 (Public Greek TV,Channel I).
• 2000, Traps and Murders (Atreidian cycle based on Euripides’ tragedies), a translation and an elaborate dramatization, directed by Nikos Perelis, at the National Theatre of Greece – Experimental Theatre.
• 2003, The Bacchae, by Euripides, a request by the “Megaron”, Athens Concert Hall, in collaboration with the dance company “Theatrokinissi”, directed by Isidoros Sideris and choreographed by Kiriakos Kosmidis.
• 2006, An enemy of the People, by E.Ipsen under the auspices of the Norwegian Embassy, directed by Nikos Perelis at the Day’s Theater (Theatro Imeras).
Samples of the Theatrical Music, which Ioannis Metallinos has composed for many of the above works, may be found in his first C.D. which became available to the public in January of 1998. It’s titled “Mirror of the Earth”, and it is a production of the Cultural Developmental Center of Thrace.